Making Stevia Extract
A "recipe" for making your own homemade stevia liquid extract.
Author: McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN
- 1 cup stevia leaves, washed and dried
- SUPPLIES // dark glass bottles
- DRY //
- Dry stevia leaves in the sun or dehydrator for one day or 12 hours (respectively)
- Once dried, place whole leaves (don't crush up too much or else you'll have a hard time filtering out the leaves from the vodka), in a glass mason jar (preferably dark colored).
- Fill to cover the leaves with vodka.
- Steep at room temperature for at least 24 hours.
- Filter out the stevia leaves using a fine strainer.
- To remove the alcohol from the vodka, heat the extract on your stovetop in a pot for about 20 minutes (do not boil!).
- Simply use a funnel to pour stevia extract into small medicine dropper bottles or other bottles and keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.